It was announced this morning that the 2017 VMB Scholarships leading directly into the Mazda Road to Indy were open to new applicants. For over 20 years the World Speed Motorsports Rising Star Award has provided a test to young racers looking to move up the open-wheel racing ladder. Starting in the 2014 season, the Rising Star Award added a new component, a full season ride in a FormulaSPEED provided by VMB Driver Development.
The FormulaSPEED Scholarship:
The entry point to the program will again be a test of, between three and six drivers in FormulaSPEED race cars. World Speed Motorsports will accept online applications for this test starting on September 18th and closing on October 15th (see eligibility guidelines and entry information below). From those applications, Rising Star Award winners will be selected to participate in the test. Each of the drivers at the test will be scored on driving ability, technical feedback, and communication with the WSM/VMB team members. Staff from World Speed Motorsports will discuss the merits of each driver, and provide a complete report on all drivers to VMB Driver Development. VMB will then select the scholarship winner to pilot the VMB Academy FormulaSPEED for the 2017 season.
Eligibility Guidelines for the Rising Star Award:
- Ages 14 – 24
- Raced in fewer than 3 races in FCC
- Raced in fewer than 3 races in Pro Mazda Championship, or similar level of open wheel competition
- Currently licensed in SCCA, NASA, FIA, SKUSA, or similar or racing in racing school series
Getting Considered for the Test:
Eligible drivers must enter by October 15th.
(There are no fees in order to be considered for this program)
Some of the past WSM Rising Star Award winners have included:
- Scott Speed – F1, NASCAR, Global Rally Cross
- Joey Hand – Ford and BMW Factory Driver, 24 Hours of Daytona & 12 Hour of Sebring winner
- Sage Karam – 2013 Indy Lights Champion
- Joel Miller – Team USA, 2013 Grand Am Rolex GX vice-champion
- Cole Whitt – NASCAR
- Michael Self – NASCAR
- Conor Daly – Pro Mazda Champion, Team USA, Indy Lights, IndyCar, GP3
- Neil Alberico – 2015 Pro Mazda Championship vice-champion, 2016 Indy Lights, Team USA
More information, and links to apply are available at: